£1M funding for workspace project

0
1517

Two historic buildings at the heart of Cornwall’s industrial mining heritage will be given a new lease of life following a Council bid for more than £1.1 million in European funding.

The grant from the ERDF Convergence Programme will go towards conserving and bringing back into economic use the Count House and Carpenters’ Shop complexes at King Edward Mine, near Camborne.

Cornwall Council, which owns the derelict listed Grade II buildings, is contributing up to £800k towards the scheme from its capital programme.

The Carpenters' Shop at King Edward Mine. Photo courtesy of Poynton Bradbury Wynter Cole Architects
The Carpenters’ Shop at King Edward Mine. Photo courtesy of Poynton Bradbury Wynter Cole Architects

Using local distinctive building techniques and materials, the two buildings will be refurbished to create nine workspace units, which will then be marketed to businesses within the creative industry sector, one of the fastest growing sectors in the Cornish economy, with an estimated turnover of £500 million per year.

King Edward Mine, the former home of Camborne School of Mines, was bought by Cornwall Council in 2009 and is substantially leased to a local charity to run as a mining heritage attraction.

Julian German, Cornwall Council’s cabinet member for economy and culture, said: “World Heritage Site status for Cornish Mining brings with it international accountability and the responsibility to ensure that sites such as King Edward Mine are preserved.

“Investing in the conservation and refurbishment of our historic industrial buildings so that they find new economic uses not only safeguards their future, but contributes to the local economy and often in the most deprived areas of Cornwall.”

Individuals and businesses interested in the new workspace accommodation should email Tamsin Daniel (Economic Development & Culture) or call 01872 224753.