Seven Towns Fund projects in Penzance and Newlyn have been signed off by the Council and sent for Government approval.
The area was approved last year for up to £21.5 million of funding and since then each project team has been working hard to develop their business cases. This included detailed budgets, potential impact on the town’s economy and outline timeline for delivery.
The projects are:
The Gardeners House in Morrab Gardens
- The project will involve the refurbishment of a currently dilapidated building in the heart of the Morrab Gardens. “Connecting people, planet and place”, the Gardeners House building will become a knowledge hub for the community, delivering activities that support wellbeing through engagement in horticulture, history and various courses.
- Supporting the local ambition for the Promenade to become a vibrant zone for sports, events and leisure, the Waterfront project is looking to create a new indoor sport and activity centre providing affordable access to the Olympic sports of bouldering and skateboarding for all. An added benefit of the development will be the transformation of a currently redundant site and the further enhancement of the waterfront site, encouraging footfall between Penzance and Newlyn.
- The refurbishment and modernisation of the Penzance Harbour aims to boost the local marine and engineering sectors and support the long-term economic sustainability of the area by providing new and affordable space for businesses.
Sustainable Travel Network
- This transport infrastructure scheme will facilitate and support local ambition of creating a more sustainable and attractive town. The project proposes to transform travel in and around Penzance and create a fully sustainable network of safe and accessible walking, cycling and functional green and open urban spaces.
- The Market House Project seeks to redevelop the vacant portion of this iconic building to attract footfall and bring more vitality at the heart of Penzance town centre. The vision for this redevelopment includes hosting a food hall with street food kitchens on the ground floor, with the first floor transformed to house a bar and events space, whilst the lower ground floor will be a shared workspace.
Newlyn Harbour Marine Skills and Resource Centre
- Situated in the heart of the ancient harbour, the new Marine Skills and Resource Centre will establish a centre of excellence for learning and development. The project aims to support and future proof the local marine sector by recruiting, training and retaining new and current workforce locally.
- This project will provide grants to micro, small and medium sized businesses within the Penzance Town Deal area, including start up and scale up businesses.
Cornwall Council has now submitted the finalised Penzance Town Deal Programme and associated projects to the Government. Once approved, funds are due to be released in early autumn.
Chair of the Penzance Town Deal board, Martin Tucker, said: “We are delighted with the progress that has been made, as we move closer to these projects starting. Each team has worked relentlessly to ensure the deadline have been met to maximise this amazing funding opportunity which will bring so much to Penzance and Newlyn.
“We are excited to see the next stages and look forward to delivering these outstanding projects.”