A Cornish restaurant has been recognised at this year’s prestigious AA Rosette Awards.
Karrek, which is based at the St Enodoc Hotel in Rock, received three AA Rosettes – standing out for its selection and treatment of the “highest quality ingredients and consistently excellent flavour combinations”.
An AA inspector enthused: “Housed within the tranquil setting of St Enodoc Hotel overlooking the Camel estuary, Karrek offers a calm and elegant dining environment.
“Quality underpins all areas of a meal here, with classy napery and cutlery, as well as attentive service. Suffice to say, the menu is a testament to all things local and the owners have a farm from which meat is supplied. The kitchen displays highly accomplished skills and respect for the produce.
“Porthilly oyster and mussel with seaweed gnocchi is a beautiful starter that tastes of the sea. It might be followed by roast duck, parsnip, blackcurrants and apple.”
Simon Numphud, MD at AA Media, which operates the AA Rosette scheme, said: “This year we’ve seen an exceptional level of culinary excellence demonstrated by those receiving our coveted AA Rosettes, and the Karrek, St Enodoc Hotel is no exception.
“I’m constantly inspired by the resilience, innovation, and quality demonstrated by these trailblazers in our industry, and Cornwall is lucky to be home to such an impressive restaurant. Congratulations to all the worthy winners.”
The full list of 2023 Rosette winners
New four AA Rosettes:
- Amethyst | London
New three AA Rosettes:
- The Traddock | North Yorkshire
- Upstairs by Tom Shepherd | West Midlands
- Smoke, Hampton Manor | West Midlands
- Home by James Sommerin | Wales
- Karrek, St Enodoc Hotel | Cornwall
- The Dog and Gun Inn | Cumbria
- Turnips with Tomas Ludakevicius | London
- Thornbury Castle | Gloucestershire
- The Checkers | Wales
- Ben Wilkinson at The Pass, South Lodge | West Sussex
- Alex Dilling, Hotel Café Royal | London
- 263 | Lancashire
- Restaurant 1890 by Gordon Ramsay | London
- One Devonshire Gardens by Hotel du Vin | Scotland