Despite news from The Department for Business that £6.4 billion could be spent online this Christmas, a warning has been issued that Cornish online retailers could be missing out.
Research from Truro-based ecommerce consultant, NetInsight, discovered that 98% of visitors leave a website immediately, meaning that the opportunity for sales declines rapidly.
NetInsight director, Dan Hinchliffe, said: “The research we’ve built up over the last four years has shown that 98% of people who land on a website after finding it leave immediately.
“This is the equivalent of someone walking into a shop on the high street, stepping through the door, scanning around then turning round and walking straight out.
“There are obviously a number of reasons why people do this, but the main one seems to be that if they don’t see what they’re after straight away then they will go elsewhere.”
According to NetInsight, increasing the amount of traffic to the site may also have little impact if people are unable to find what they are after.
NetInsight’s five top tips to encourage visitors to buy and spend more on your E-Commerce site:
- Clearly display your Christmas delivery dates and site security information
- Create Christmas gift focused landing pages
- Offer free delivery whenever possible
- Ensure your product pages clearly state price and stock availability
- Reduce your basket and checkout steps as much as possible