Cornwall marine engineering business Feritech Global has won the Sustainability Award in the south west final of the FSB Celebrating Small Business Awards 2023.
These awards are the largest scheme of their kind in the UK. The regional winners were announced last night (March 1) at a gala event at the Winter Gardens, Weston-super-Mare. For the Sustainability Award, businesses were judged on their sustainability achievements and how they are helping to drive wider progress in the green economy.
Feritech MD, Rob Ferris, said: “This is fabulous recognition for all the hard work our team has put into planning and building our new Innovation Centre as well as the other environmental initiatives we are taking. We are proving that advanced manufacturing can work in harmony with the natural environment.”
Feritech recently opened a flagship Innovation Centre (pictured) near Falmouth, which takes a radical approach to environmental sustainability. The £3 million purpose-built facility has many special features:
- The site harvests its own water, from boreholes that Feritech has drilled.
- It has a state of the art solar roof, combined with on-site power storage, and uses air source heating for the offices.
- Feritech has planted 3,000 trees, to help blend with the rural location and promote biodiversity.
- A pond captures the surface run-off from the site, creating a heat store and providing new wildlife habitats.
- Rather than metal fences, Feritech planted 5,500 hawthorn bushes, making a natural, maintenance-free barrier.
- The building is designed so that there is no light pollution or noise pollution.
Ann Vandermeulen, FSB development manager for Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly, added: “It is wonderful to see a Cornish business win this award, beating off competition from right across the south west region. Feritech is an innovative and visionary company, leading the way on sustainability as well as driving rapid business growth, with customers in over 40 countries around the world.”
Feritech will now go on to represent the south west region in the national final of the FSB Celebrating Small Business Awards in Birmingham on May 18.