The Heartlands project in Pool has triumphed in the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) Awards 2013, picking up three awards including a coveted RIBA National Award.
A successful £22 million Big Lottery funding bid provided the impetus for this £35 million initiative: which is the gateway to the area’s last working mine: Robinson’s Shaft, with £3 million of EU funding also supporting the development.
Heartlands, by Truro-based Stride Treglown Architects, was also successful in receiving an RIBA South West Regional Award and Regional Client of the Year at last night’s (June 12) awards event held in Swindon.
Jury member, Jonathan Ball MBE, said: “Working closely with the numerous clients and funding bodies, English Heritage, the local authority and the local community, the architects have painstakingly pieced together a site not only of well-restored and new buildings, but one with a strong narrative. This project is an optimistic catalyst for social change – for the community by the community and one in which ‘architecture’ is rightly prepared to take a back seat.”
The shortlist for the RIBA Stirling Prize for the best building of the year will be drawn from the RIBA National Award winning buildings and the 2013 RIBA Stirling Prize will be announced in September.
The full list of the nine winning projects in the south west are:
- Beacon Edge, Bath (CaSA Architects, Bath): RIBA South West Regional Award
- Berry Head Rocks, Devon (Stan Bolt Architect, Brixham): RIBA South West Regional Award
- Chedworth Roman Villa, Gloucestershire (Feilden Clegg Bradley Studios, Bath): RIBA South West Regional Award + RIBA National Award
- Cranham Lodge, nr Cheltenham (Batterham Matthews, Bath): RIBA South West Regional Award
- Heartlands, Redruth (Stride Treglown, Truro): RIBA South West Regional Award + Client of the Year + RIBA National Award
- Royal Albert Memorial Museum and Art Gallery, Exeter (Allies and Morrison, London): RIBA South West Regional Award + Regional Building of the Year
- St Peter’s Catholic Primary School, Gloucester (Feilden Clegg Bradley Studios, Bath): RIBA South West Regional Award
- The Forum, Exeter University (Wilkinson Eyre, London): RIBA South West Regional Award + RIBA National Award
- The Green House, Devon (Stan Bolt Architect, Brixham): RIBA South West Regional Award