North Quay, the new destination being created at Hayle Harbour, has celebrated a major construction milestone with the ‘topping out’ of its landmark first apartment building.
The topping out ceremony, the traditional celebration of reaching the highest point of construction, saw the completion of the concrete roof slab to the Block D apartments which will sit at the heart of the new scheme and will be named An Garth (The Yard).
Construction got under way earlier this year at North Quay which will feature homes, new shops and open spaces.
Situated on the edge of what will become the new North Quay Square and close to the quayside, the apartment building’s contemporary wharf style homes will enjoy water views, with many properties having a balcony or terrace. At five storeys, it is the tallest of the new buildings being constructed as part of the award-winning development.
David Speight, construction director for Corinthian Homes, said: “We are very pleased and proud to be celebrating this milestone at the end of what has been a transformative 12 months for the North Quay scheme.
“It represents not only a high point for this particular building but for the whole team of more than 100 construction professionals, local contractors and apprentices, which has worked so effectively, diligently and safely together in making such impressive progress during this extraordinary year.”
In addition to the successful work to the apartment building, there has been significant progress right across the North Quay development:
- The first block of new quayside townhouses has been largely completed, with all these homes now sold.
- Major infrastructure work is continuing to create underground car parking in preparation for further development along the quaysides.
- Site preparation and significant ecological work has taken place for a new spine road which will link the waterfront and hilltop areas of the site.
- A project to repair and repoint some of North Quay’s listed quay walls is under way as part of the Corinthian Harbour and Marine Programme.
- A new beachside restaurant – Lula’s – successfully opened at North Quay, with the support of Corinthian Homes, and had proved popular with local people and visitors.
- And earlier this year, the development by Corinthian Homes (part of the Corinthian Homes Group), and designed by internationally renowned architects and urban designers Feilden Clegg Bradley Studios, was announced as a winner in the Project Category in the Housing Design Awards 2020.
More than a decade in the planning, the regeneration of Hayle Harbour has long been seen as an important project in stimulating and sustaining economic growth in the town and west Cornwall.
A planning application has already been submitted for Phase Two of the scheme, to include a new hotel and community centre, improved water sport and harbour facilities, cinema and new open-market and affordable homes.