St Austell Brewery has signed a sponsorship deal to support Exeter City Football Club through the Brewery’s flagship Tribute Ale brand.
The agreement means the Grecians will kick off their first game in the Coca-Cola Football League Two proudly sporting the Tribute logo on their shirts. St Austell Brewery also remains the main supplier to the Exeter City FC club bar.
The team’s new shirts were unveiled at St Austell Brewery last week, in between the club’s whistle-stop tour of the County when the club played a number of pre-season friendly matches.
The ‘Tribute Cornish Tour’ saw Exeter City take on Southern League side, Truro City FC, and South West Premier team, St Blazey AFC. Exeter triumphed in both matches, with a 4-1 win against Truro and an emphatic 8-0 victory over St Blazey.
The sponsorship deal with the club is part of the Brewery’s ongoing and wide-ranging support for sport across the region. As well as sponsoring a number of individual football and rugby clubs in Devon and Cornwall, Tribute is the official beer of South West rugby through its sponsorship of 14 South West Leagues.
Danny Crabb, regional sales manager, St Austell Brewery, said: “We’re delighted to have agreed this deal to be sponsoring Exeter City FC from next season. Tribute Ale has enjoyed a year of success, and with Exeter City’s recent promotion, it appears we have a winning combination.
“Visitors to the club’s bar will also be able to continue enjoying St Austell Brewery’s selection of excellent ales.”
Paul Morrish Exeter City FC Commercial Director commented:
“We are immensely proud to have extended our excellent partnership with St Austell Brewery.From our very first dealings with our friends there we have both benefited enormously from the progressive commercial relationship we have established.
St Austell’s involvement with us over the past few years has coincided with great success on and off the pitch, and that is not entirely a coincidence.Their support has been immense and we thank their team of professionals for backing ours so well.
“Showing Tribute on the back of our kit this season is a very public demonstration of our partnership, but the highly successful Tribute Cornish Tour and the newly opened Tribute hospitality room at St James’Park and, of course, the first class products and backing we receive for our thriving bars all add to what we know is being viewed by others as a model for partnership based sports sponsorship. The fact that we have now signed this new and extended agreement is testimony to this and to our mutual commitment to furthering each others’ success”
The announcement of the Exeter City sponsorship deal continues a hugely exciting year for St Austell Brewery and its Tribute Ale. Earlier this year Tribute was announced as the highest new entry – and the only Devon or Cornwall-brewed ale – to feature in the annual Brands Report 2008, and just last week, Tribute featured in The Morning Advertiser’s top ten of premium cask ales.
Notes to Editors
Photography: Foreground: Ian Blunt, St Austell Brewery sales director and Paul Tisdale, Exeter City Team manager with the rest of the team at St Austell Brewery.
St Austell Brewery
- Founded in 1851, St Austell Brewery is known to be one of the oldest businesses in Cornwall
- It is one of only 30 Independently Family Owned Brewers in the UK
- The company owns 168 pubs
- It is the South West’s largest wholesale distributor of beer, wines and spirits, serving more than 2000 free trade accounts, from pubs, clubs, hotels and other licensed outlets in Cornwall, Devon, Somerset and Dorset
- The company employs up to 1200 people including part-time and seasonal staff
- The company brews five regular real ale beers: Tribute, Tinners, IPA, Proper Job and HSD
- There are two keg versions: Cornish Cream and Duchy
- The bottled beer range consists of HSD, Tribute, Admiral’s Ale, Proper Job and Clouded Yellow
- The company markets its real ales nationally
- The company also distributes a full range of national brands of beers and a full range of wines and spirits under the Walter Hicks label
- The company has eight distribution depots – St Austell, Bude,
- Heathfield, Ilfracombe, Isles of Scilly, Redruth, Newquay and Cullompton
- The company is a recognised centre of excellence for training, accredited by the British Institute of Innkeeping (BII), offering a wide range of courses to people who work in the licensed trade